OMA Conference Livestream
Even if you can't attend the Obesity Medicine 2019 Conference in Houston, you don't have to miss out on the top obesity medicine education offered! Livestream 12 of the sessions from the Spring Obesity Summit online on April 5-7. All you need is an internet connection!
OMA Member: $65
How to Participate
- Register for the livestream.
- Check your inbox for your confirmation email. This contains a link and unique password to access the livestream.
- At the time of the event, use your link and password to log in and watch live!
Please note: You must watch the webcast live. Recordings will not be available without an additional purchase. No CME/CE credit will be awarded for the livestream event.
Friday, April 5
All times are in Central Time.
8:30-9:30 AM - Keynote Address - Obesity: Applying the Chronic Care Model for Prevention and Management
Eduardo Sanchez, MD, MPH, FAAFP
Dr. Eduardo Sanchez serves as Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for Prevention and Chief of the Center for Health Metrics and Evaluation for the American Heart Association (AHA). Prior to joining AHA, he served as Vice President and CMO for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) where he focused on worker and worksite wellness, clinical prevention, and chronic disease management, particularly diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Dr. Sanchez led the Institute for Health Policy at the University of Texas (UT) School of Public Health as Director from 2006 to 2008. From 2001 to 2006, he served as Texas Commissioner of Health, Texas’ state health officer. He led the Texas Department of State Health Services from 2004 to 2006 and the Texas Department of Health from 2001 to 2004. And he served as the local public health officer in Austin-Travis County from 1994 to 1998.
9:30-10:30 AM - The Future of Obesity Medicine: Managing Adiposity-related Disease with Obesity Treatment
Harold Bays, MD, FOMA, FTOS, FACC, FACE, FNLA, Dipl. ABOM
Set the stage for a day of learning about managing adiposity-related diseases.
- Review the metabolic and fat-mass effects on adiposity-related diseases.
- Discuss the impact of obesity treatment on metabolic and fat-mass adiposity-related diseases.
- Explore future options for obesity treatment.
11:15 AM-12:15 PM - Early Detection and Management of Insulin Resistance
Lydia Alexander, MD, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM
- Understand the role of obesity in the pathophysiology of insulin resistance.
- Recognize the manifestations of insulin resistance in patient history, physical examination, laboratory, and other testing.
- Identify risks for future adiposity-related diseases based on manifestations of insulin resistance.
- Understand key interventions for treating and managing patients with insulin resistance.
1:15-2:15 PM - The Relationship between Obesity and Sleep
Craig Primack, MD, FACP, FAAP, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM
- Understand the impact that obesity has on sleep and the impact that dysfunctional sleep patterns have on obesity.
- Review common sleep-related disorders.
- Understand the effects of poor sleep habits on weight management.
- Understand the impact of obesity on sleep disorders, including obstructive sleep apnea.
3:00-4:00 PM - Customizing Anti-Obesity Medication Selection for Patients with Adiposity-related Diseases
Louis J. Aronne, MD, FACP, Dipl. ABOM
- Understand the indications, contra-indications, interactions, mechanisms of action, adverse side effects, and precautions for medications that are commonly used in obesity medicine to manage or prevent adiposity-related disease.
- Become familiar with the effect of these medications on obesity-related diseases.
- Understand what medications may also have a positive or negative effect on conditions not related to obesity.
4:15-5:30 PM - Cancer Attributable to the Disease of Obesity
Farhad Islami, MD, PhD
- Understand why excess body weight is an established cause of cancer.
- Discuss the link between obesity and cancer.
- Learn about individual and community-level interventions.
Saturday, April 6
All times are in Central Time.
8:00-10:00 AM - Optimizing Obesity Treatment with Pharmacology Point/Counterpoint Discussion
Andres Acosta, MD, PhD, Dipl. ABOM, and Fatima Cody Stanford, MD, MPH, MPA, FAAP, FACP, FTOS, Dipl. ABOM
How do you incorporate anti-obesity medications into treatment with your patients? Is there a benefit to medication alone in patients who are unable to adopt behavioral interventions, or who are already engaged in other lifestyle interventions? Or, should obesity treatment always consist of a comprehensive treatment program that includes nutrition, physical activity, behavior, and medication?
During this point/counterpoint discussion, hear two different experts review the evidence on utilizing anti-obesity medications.
- Understand the components of a comprehensive weight management program.
- Familiarize yourself with the medical evidence supporting the efficacy and long-term outcomes for managing adiposity-related diseases.
- Contrast the utilization of a multi-component interventional program versus medication alone or other modifications in obesity treatment plans based upon the individual patient’s needs and/or available resources.
- Understand a potential role for individualized obesity treatment interventions in select patients.
10:15 AM-12:15 PM - Managing Dyslipidemia in Patients with Obesity Point/Counterpoint Discussion
Harold Bays, MD, FTOS, FACC, FACE, FNLA, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM, and Blair O'Neill, MD, FACC
In patients with high LDL cholesterol, pharmacotherapy is the primary treatment option. But what’s the optimal treatment approach for patients with mixed lipid presentations? During this point/counterpoint discussion, learn about the strengths and limitations of pharmacological treatment vs. lifestyle therapy for dyslipidemia.
- Learn the essential concepts of lipid analysis, lipid particles, and other markers of dyslipidemia specifically in patients with obesity.
- Explore the role of individual lipid components in cardiovascular risk assessment.
- Recognize the strengths and limitations of lifestyle intervention in lipid management.
- Identify the strengths and limitations of pharmacotherapy in the reduction or prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Familiarize yourself with the effects of intensive lifestyle on lipids and inflammatory markers.
- Understand how to assess cardiovascular risk in patients with obesity and lipid disorders and when advanced lipid analysis and/or alternative risk markers may be useful.
- Learn how to effectively individualize the treatment of lipid disorders in patients treated for obesity.
2:15-4:15 PM - The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model Point/Counterpoint Discussion
David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD, and Michael Rosenbaum, MD
What are the underlying driving forces behind the development of obesity? What role does macronutrient composition and insulin-signaling play, versus energy imbalance from excess calorie intake? Listen to this point/counterpoint discussion with experts from two different sides of the debate, then decide for yourself!
- Understand the roles of total dietary energy content and macronutrient composition in obesity and adiposity-related disease.
- Explore the pros and cons of the carbohydrate-insulin model as the primary explanation for obesity and its consequences.
- Explore the pros and cons of energy imbalance as the primary explanation for obesity and its consequences.
Sunday, April 7
All times are in Central Time.
8:00-9:00 AM - Set Point Theory
- Explore the Set Point Theory as an explanation for why patients experience difficulties in maintaining weight loss.
- Understand the concepts of energy homeostasis and metabolic adaptation.
- Discover the contributing factors that may influence energy homeostasis, such as genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.
- Understand how set points can be modified by medical or surgical interventions and the implications in treating patients with obesity.
9:00-10:15 AM - Impact of Psychotropic Medications on Obesity
Shannon L. Hillier, DO, MPH
- Discover how to co-manage psychiatric diseases and obesity.
- Learn about the interactions between anti-obesity medications and various medications for psychiatric disorders.
- Understand the impact of psychotropic medications on weight.
10:30 AM-12:00 PM - Complex Cases in Obesity Treatment: Perspectives of Obesity Medicine Specialists
Angela Fitch, MD, FACP, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM, and Wickham Simonds, MD, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM
- Hear the different perspectives of obesity medicine experts.
- Review real-life case studies that these obesity medicine experts encountered in practice.
- Understand why different treatment options were selected for certain patients with obesity and obesity-related conditions.
- Ask your pressing questions regarding obesity and obesity-related disease treatment.
- Understand how to apply what you've learned thoughout the conference in clinical practice.